GI 44-45 Living History Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lightweight Gas Mask bag

2 posters

Go down

The Lightweight Gas Mask bag Empty The Lightweight Gas Mask bag

Post  murph Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 pm

I've just purchased one of these, it's an EBAD one and Repro but looks ok, light tan. I will be weathering it in the garden but it has come with the 'belly band' strap which I think most GIs got rid of. Is it a late war item, when is it acceptable to use as it is very handy for carrying stuff. I tried to post a pic. but it won't let me. Anyone got any gen?

murph

Back to top Go down

The Lightweight Gas Mask bag Empty Re: The Lightweight Gas Mask bag

Post  Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

murph wrote:I've just purchased one of these, it's an EBAD one and Repro but looks ok, light tan. I will be weathering it in the garden but it has come with the 'belly band' strap which I think most GIs got rid of. Is it a late war item, when is it acceptable to use as it is very handy for carrying stuff. I tried to post a pic. but it won't let me. Anyone got any gen?

oi, i hope it not the one i was watching affraid you sniper thing you, ill go look.

riz

just looked, its not the one i was watching, good job murphy me boy Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Laughing I've gone for Repro Riz, I've borrowed Paul's a few times for the Bastogne marches and it's a nifty little bag but because his are original they rip a little each time and I don't want to presume upon his generosity any more than I do already.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Giben Tue May 11, 2010 8:59 pm

From What I have found out non d day assault units were issued them.
Giben
Giben

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Tue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm

So pretty much good to go for the ETO?

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Murph,

The Lightweight Service Gas Mask Bag is used for carrying the M3 and M4 Lightweight Service Gas Masks. It's official nomenclature was "Carrier, Gas Mask, M6". This mask itself was introduced in 1942 as a replacement for the bulky M2 Masks. As such, it's acceptable for impressions ranging from 1943 through to very late war.

As Ben has said, it can be seen being widely used by non-assault troops during Operation Neptune.

Here's a shot I received from a Veteran showing two Nurses of the 203d General Hospital trying out their newly-issued M3 Lightweight Gas Masks and M6 Carriers:

The Lightweight Gas Mask bag NurseGasMask

I hope this helps,
Ben.

P.S. If you need more information about the mask and other contents for this Carrier, let me know and I will prepare a complete list of contents and some photographs of the one in my collection for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

BenM wrote:Murph,

The Lightweight Service Gas Mask Bag is used for carrying the M3 and M4 Lightweight Service Gas Masks. It's official nomenclature was "Carrier, Gas Mask, M6". This mask itself was introduced in 1942 as a replacement for the bulky M2 Masks. As such, it's acceptable for impressions ranging from 1943 through to very late war.

As Ben has said, it can be seen being widely used by non-assault troops during Operation Neptune.

Here's a shot I received from a Veteran showing two Nurses of the 203d General Hospital trying out their newly-issued M3 Lightweight Gas Masks and M6 Carriers:

The Lightweight Gas Mask bag NurseGasMask

I hope this helps,
Ben.

P.S. If you need more information about the mask and other contents for this Carrier, let me know and I will prepare a complete list of contents and some photographs of the one in my collection for you.

Why not, it's an item of equipment we don't hear much about.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Giben Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I have to say this item is not well known even though it was used more than the M7.
In most Normandy breakout images I have seen show GI' this just this and a bandoleer with no other web gear apart from a garand belt sometimes seen.
Giben
Giben

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 am

murph wrote:Why not, it's an item of equipment we don't hear much about.

Sounds like an idea for another Reference Topic! Smile

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 am

[quote="BenM"]
murph wrote:Why not, it's an item of equipment we don't hear much about.

Sounds like an idea for another Reference Topic! Smile

Cheers,
Ben.[/quote

Like GIBEN says it seems that the GI's were more paired down when it comes to equipment than we portray. Too much kit gets in the way and slows you down, not ideal in the front line.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum