GI 44-45 Living History Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945

4 posters

Go down

FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945 Empty FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945

Post  ramsey_green Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi guys,

I know we were talking about it at the weekend and how to pitch the Tent, Fire-Resistant, Pyramidal M-1934 O-D correctly;

The forum wont let me post an external link for 7 days - so I will email it to one of you regulars to post.

Basically pitching the tent goes as follows (4 men 30 minutes - but we have done it with 2 people);

Commander designates the line on which the tents are to be pitched.

Tie up all the bottom corners and hammer in the front right hand corner.

Make sure the door is laced up all the way then spread the tent out and hammer in the remaining 3 corners.

1 guy stays outside and 3 guys go inside - the guys inside put the pole through the metal loop at the top - the guy on the outside puts the top cover on...

The guys inside now errect the pole and the guy outside hammers the 4 upper corner ropes into the ground. (we drilled our centre pole in several places allowing us to use a lifting bar - very useful as it can double up as a coathanger!)

All the guys now adjust the corner ropes so they are tight.

Put in the 4 corner poles and peg out the remaining outer ropes.

Finally tie down the top cover and hey presto - your accomodation is ready to be populated!

Folding is a bit more tricky to explain - so will show you how to do it at EK if you want? Or I can try and explain it here if you want?

Regards,

Ramsey.

ramsey_green

Back to top Go down

FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945 Empty Re: FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for posting that, Ramsey. Smile

We have already been through this several times gang - you should be getting the hang of it... Laughing I did also show you all at Peak how the Tent should be correctly struck and folded. Perhaps we need to start paying more attention in class?!

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945 Empty Re: FM 20-15 Tents and Tents Pitching February 1945

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Or dare I mention "Back to Basics"

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 am

A back to basics weekend/display was exactly what we had in mind! We all know what the public thinks about GI's at work and putting up tents/cooking and so forth is always a winner. My thoughts went along the lines of a display that features a GI working party putting up tents/taking them down peeling spuds/cooking brewing coffee, cleaning weapons etc. Not only would this make for a good display I think it would benefit every member to know exactly what we need to do when setting up camp etc. It links in with instruction on basic drill and the components of a squad, rank structures unit designations etc.

I think this would benefit everyone and help integrate new members, thoughts?

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Dantheman Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Cheers Ramsey!

Yeah, sounds like a good idea Murph.

I know we've been shown or told how to do these things before but practice can only make perfect and by making it into a display kind of kills two birds with one stone - We benefit from learning/practicing this and the public get to see something a bit different from the usual combat display.

Dantheman
Dantheman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gina_Costina Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm

murph wrote:A back to basics weekend/display was exactly what we had in mind! We all know what the public thinks about GI's at work and putting up tents/cooking and so forth is always a winner. My thoughts went along the lines of a display that features a GI working party putting up tents/taking them down peeling spuds/cooking brewing coffee, cleaning weapons etc. Not only would this make for a good display I think it would benefit every member to know exactly what we need to do when setting up camp etc. It links in with instruction on basic drill and the components of a squad, rank structures unit designations etc.

I think this would benefit everyone and help integrate new members, thoughts?

I like the idea, more so because if its part of the event all can get involved, as most will have arrived. That way all get the experience and the workload is shared.
Gina_Costina
Gina_Costina

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

We could do it at .......insert event here....... ????

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:24 pm

It would have to be an event where we turn up on the Saturday or Sunday morning, for the public to be able to see us erecting tents. We normally put them up on a Friday night to sleep in scratch Idea We could put them up Friday night take them down Saturday morning then put them up again.................. confused or perhaps not. Laughing Laughing

Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:59 am

Agreed, best thing would be to use several types, we can put up a camp and have that set up then practice with spare tents.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down