GI 44-45 Living History Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions

2 posters

Go down

P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions Empty P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions

Post  Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:25 am

I've just been reading the excellent book Tonight We Die As Men, all about the 3rd Bn 506th in Normandy and it got me thinking.

Like most books of that sort that deal primarily with units at the tactical level it mentions a lot about machine gun/mortar platoon's, HQ Companies and Service Companies etc.

I was wondering is there a definitive source that shows the different companies and platoons broken down into their composite parts? I.E. how many .30 cal teams/mortar teams etc. I'm happy with the break down for P.I.R Rifle Companies and I know regular Infantry Companies were larger but its the HQ and support elements that I'm cloudy on!

Back to top Go down

P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions Empty Re: P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions

Post  TonyM Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

I had similar questions in my mind. I found this book very good US Infantry Divisions It has the TO&E for the elements of an Infantry division so covers manpower strengths and equipment.
TonyM
TonyM

Back to top Go down

P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions Empty Re: P.I.R and Inf Company/Platoon compositions

Post  Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks Tony! I've just ordered a copy, and not bad at 15 quid compared to the 27 Amazon wanted to charge!

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyM Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Well done, that's a good price, he also has one for armoured divisions but I don't have it yet Mad 
TonyM
TonyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Tony, I got my copy last week and I love it! So much useful info, I think I need his other books now!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Could this web site help ?

http://www.militaryresearch.org/freebies.htm

It's not always accurate, but it's a good starting point I guess...

PX Pat
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyM Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 am

I think I'll get his other books, they're a great resource and I'd recommend to anybody.

That's a good site Pat, lots of good info and accompanies this book well
TonyM
TonyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum