GI 44-45 Living History Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient - Page 2 Empty Re: A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient

Post  murph Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Current aerial view of K3 building at Lorient as it is today, K2 and K1 are off to the left and unseen in this picture.

A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient - Page 2 Aerial10

murph

Back to top Go down

A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient - Page 2 Empty Re: A visit to the U-Boat pens at Lorient

Post  murph Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 pm

rangerspam wrote:Amazing Murph, war in the Atlantic never really been my thing, but looks well worth a visit.

Must admit the more I learn about it all the more it interests me. Actually visiting these places though really does make you stop and think. There is another part to this museum that you were not allowed to photograph where they actually trained the U-Boat crews on underwater escape techniques that fair made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as it is all original with the then and now pictures of the men standing in the same spot you are.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Camel1815 Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:34 am

Great piccies Murph, as you say real thought provoking. I agree with what you say about visiting places, even though they are not realy your bag, it was all part of the same conflict we commemorate, and there are many other places which warrant a visit. Where exactly is Lorient?
Camel1815
Camel1815

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 am

ive visited a hell of a lot of old wartime airbases, some where only a few sheds are still in use by farmers, which is great if your into Aeroplanes, ive read about the Atlantic war, and one of my Dads relatives was killed as a Merchantman in the Battle, Its a part of the war which was very important, and vital id love a look round it if i was over that way. but although i love the sea and enjoy a good trip in one, im more of a landlubber.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Absolutely fantastic Murph - looks like you had a really great time, even if it was on your own! Thanks for sharing the photographs with us.

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks guys. I must admit I have a fascination for most of the war stuff, I'm even building on my interest in the Far East stuff. Mostly though it's that feeling of being able to actually touch a little bit of history, walk in their footsteps. I won't be able to re-enact for ever and when I give it up I want to continue my interest by other means. Richard, Lorient is in Britanny on the Atlantic Coast about 250 km from Caen.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Oh wow that is sooooo good!

Can't wait to hear the stories of that trip.
samharris45
samharris45

http://www.wwiireenactor.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum