GI 44-45 Living History Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread

+3
murph
samharris45
Gina_Costina
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread Empty [REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi all,

I just thought that a thread for Jumpsuit reference might be useful, to illustrate some of the finer details of Jumpsuits, and so that the look of a true GI can be completed Laughing

As with all the other threads in this Forum, please feel free to comment, correct or add as necessary.

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread Empty Colour Reference

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Here's an illustration that I prepared showing colour variation amongst original and reproduction Jump Jackets:

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread ColorComp

a) Original Sigmund Eisner Co. - November 6th, 1942.
b) Second run Chinese copy (re-enforced).
c) S. M. Wholesale - S.P.R. batch (un-re-enforced).
d) WWII Impressions [batch unknown] (un-re-enforced).
e) Original Sigmund Eisner Co. - June 8th, 1943.

Unfortunately, I don't have an At The Front to compare these to!

I hope that this will be of some use,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread Empty Re: [REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread

Post  Gina_Costina Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:05 pm

A and E -the same manufacturer, yet slightly different shades. WW11 Impressions-blimey-what a colour!!!
Gina_Costina
Gina_Costina

Back to top Go down

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread Empty Re-enforcements

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Here's a quick photograph reference post about the re-enforcing of Jump Suits:

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread 82d_legTie

The above illustration shows the stitching method and material used to create the leg ties on 82d A/B style Jump Trousers. This can be compared to the photograph below, which shows the 101st style. As can be seen the latter are constructed of a much lighter material, and have been stitched into the seam of the trouser leg. Conversely, the 82d style version has been stitched in a wide pattern over the seam:

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread 101st_legTie

As can be seen from the photograph above, the re-enforcing on the knees is attached to each seam on the trouser leg, and secured with two lines of stitching at the top and bottom of the patch. This method was universal to both the 101st and 82d Riggers, and does not seem to differ.

The following illustration details the re-enforcing method used on the leg pockets of both 101st and 82d Jump Suits. As can be seen, the material stitched around the pocket's edges (meaning that it's necessary to remove pockets in order to apply re-enforcing). The patch is secured by means of two lines of stitching around. This is the same method that was used on the lower Jacket pockets too.

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread Pocket

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Ben

Spot on mate! God the WWII Impressions M42 looks horrible! What are the WWII Impressions M42's like then are they good?

I can honestly say from looking at the pics that the ATF colour does look dam good in comparrison to the originals.

Sam
samharris45
samharris45

http://www.wwiireenactor.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Sam,

Good points about the WWII Impressions' suit are as follows:

- Correct zinc poppers.
- Brass Talon zipper.
- Pressed edging on Jacket seam.
- Stitched armpit vents (as per Sigmund Eisner Co. example).
- Material is about the right weight.

I was actually quite impressed at the colour of the Chinese copies we have too. If you beef-up the re-enforcing stitching to accurately represent the original, I think they're great too!

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited by BenM on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:17 pm

BenM wrote:Sam,

Good points about the WWII Impressions' suit are as follows:

- Correct zinc poppers.
- Brass Talon zipper.
- Pressed edging on Jacket seam.
- Stitched armpit vents (as opposed to brass eyelets).
- Material is about the right weight.

I was actually quite impressed at the colour of the Chinese copies we have too. If you beef-up the re-enforcing stitching to accurately represent the original, I think they're great too!

Cheers,
Ben.

I thought that with the Chinese ones. I have re-enforced the crotch after a period of 'free balling' and they are good! The one I got from SOF around 3 years ago had a draker colour much like you see on M42's that have been treated with gas impregnation.

I think most have good M42 patterns and they have the colour correct but it's just the snaps that often let them down in most cases.

I hear with the WW2 Impressions that the material is allot thicker than it should be?

Sam
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Sam,

Yes, the poppers often let these Jackets down, because the originals were either zinc (the vast majority) or brass.

I haven't seen a recent WWII Impression Suit, but the twill fabric used on the example we have is about right. It's thicker than the other reproductions around.

You're quite right about the crutch on the Chinese copies!

Any thoughts as to the next Reference Thread?

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:29 pm

BenM wrote:Sam,

Yes, the poppers often let these Jackets down, because the originals were either zinc (the vast majority) or brass.

I haven't seen a recent WWII Impression Suit, but the twill fabric used on the example we have is about right. It's thicker than the other reproductions around.

You're quite right about the crutch on the Chinese copies!

Any thoughts as to the next Reference Thread?

Cheers,
Ben.

Pics on re-enforcments would be good but Helmets may be a good one to do Ben. Original v's re-pro the good and the bad would be a good pointer.

Sam
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 pm

OK Sam, I'll move on to Helmets next Smile

Cheers,
Ben.

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm

BenM wrote:OK Sam, I'll move on to Helmets next Smile

Cheers,
Ben.

J Murry do good re-pro's so pics can me taken from there. If for any reasons the pics are locked I have 2 J Murray Helemts so can post some pics up.

Do you know anywhere that does crap helmets so we can get some pics from?
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:37 pm

samharris45 wrote:
BenM wrote:OK Sam, I'll move on to Helmets next Smile

Cheers,
Ben.

J Murry do good re-pro's so pics can me taken from there. If for any reasons the pics are locked I have 2 J Murray Helemts so can post some pics up.

Do you know anywhere that does crap helmets so we can get some pics from?

[b]i can answer that one, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE geek

RIZ

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Yer I know about SOF but they don't really have liner pictures and pics of the D-bales (or lack of them) and the chin cup!

Sam
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Dean

I know at the AGM you were asking some questions on the M42 Jumpsuit and I mentioned to you about there being a thread.

Well this is it so I thought I would bump it up so you can have a read of it.

Regards

Sam
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Actually that's a bloomin good thread Ben, no pun intended. We have a lot of info just on this site, need to start brushing up on the MTO work now.

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I have an unreinforced M42 from Paratrooper. According to my me (= beginner), it looks not so bad : color is rather good (maybe a bit dark...well hard to say as color depends on light and personal perception), brass poppers and zipper and the cut doesn't look so bad. As for quality, I wore during the entire spring and summer, slept, ate, drank, overdrank Wink, ran with it and it's still in good shape. As beginner, the price was good for me ! I can bring it at the social next week so we can talk about it.
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Pat wrote:I have an unreinforced M42 from Paratrooper. According to my me (= beginner), it looks not so bad : color is rather good (maybe a bit dark...well hard to say as color depends on light and personal perception), brass poppers and zipper and the cut doesn't look so bad. As for quality, I wore during the entire spring and summer, slept, ate, drank, overdrank Wink, ran with it and it's still in good shape. As beginner, the price was good for me ! I can bring it at the social next week so we can talk about it.

In other words you wore like your jumpsuit the way it was meant to be worn, everyday! Nice one Very Happy

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:54 pm

An excellent thread, id still like to have the expert eye of Ben, Sam or another member clued up in the world of jumsuits to say how best to badge and present my jumpsuit, with so many idiots turning up to airshows, museums, and events dressed in ther pristine "off the peg" badged to major or above mess of an effort id like to know im trying my best, Bez did give me some pointers but id like a "second opinion" if thats ok.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gina_Costina Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Top tip NEVER wash them!!!! (Are you reading this Dan??! Wink )
Gina_Costina
Gina_Costina

Back to top Go down

Post  Dantheman Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Johnny_Costino wrote:Top tip NEVER wash them!!!! (Are you reading this Dan??! Wink )

Hey, i have learnt from the master and now nothing EVER goes that way!!!! Twisted Evil
Dantheman
Dantheman

Back to top Go down

Post  murph Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 am

Aye, never wash M43 trousers either Wink

murph

Back to top Go down

Post  samharris45 Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 pm

rangerspam wrote:An excellent thread, id still like to have the expert eye of Ben, Sam or another member clued up in the world of jumsuits to say how best to badge and present my jumpsuit, with so many idiots turning up to airshows, museums, and events dressed in ther pristine "off the peg" badged to major or above mess of an effort id like to know im trying my best, Bez did give me some pointers but id like a "second opinion" if thats ok.

What are you badging it up as 82nd or 101st?
samharris45
samharris45

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Its currently badged to 82nd, with arm flag, so would like some advice, ill bring it to an event (non airborne) so you can see it. ive considered taking the leg ties off as they get on my nerves, but it you want a pre jump photo then youve shot yourself in the foot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Guys I'm after your opinions on the photo below. I bought a WW2 Imp jumpsuit and it was one of the runs they were selling off a but cheaper so I knew it wasn't going to be 100%. When I got it I immediately thought the colour was off and yes compared to the other repro makes it is but apart from the colour a very good repro.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for fading it a bit? John Moore had one in Normandy on the mis drops and with use and wear his looked a really good

[REF] Jumpsuit Reference Thread 6F337E00-34ED-46E1-8361-70C02B001E2C_zpsp2o7pamu

Back to top Go down

Post  Dantheman Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:13 pm

I think everyone has an opinion on m42 jumpsuits Jon, I believe it's just a case of taking everyone's comments on board and trying to make an educated judgement.

Personally I have always been a big fan of ATF and their jumpsuit. It seems to tick the most boxes for me. The ww2 impressions suits were always renown for being a bit 'green' although the cut and general product pretty good.

In the last year I have been lucky enough to acquire an original un-reinforced m42 jacket. There are certain attributes with an original that I have to say an repro is yet to be able to 100% copy, mainly the feel of the fabric (probably down to the age and wear of it) and period cut of it. That said, ATF, WW2 imps and shock horror, some of the Chinese repro have been able to capture pretty well.

Have you seen the new run of WW2 imp jumpsuits? I have to say, they look bloody good and would love to see one in the flesh. I'm currently after a new un-reinforced suit and ATF don't have any normal sizes in stock so I am tempted to go WW2 imp. They come at a price but do look the biz,

With regard to ageing, I agree with Jon. Just wear them, be it in the garden, doing jobs outdoors or even leave on the line for a few weeks for a bit of genuine ageing by the elements.

Interested on what others think too????
Dantheman
Dantheman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next